The Winchester Municipal Utilities curbside yard waste program runs seasonally from early April to late November each year. Please have all green curb-its, bagged lawn waste, and small bundles of limbs out to the curb by 7:00 am on your collection day. No dirt, rock, mulch, or gravel will be accepted with this program.
Transfer Station is located at 175 N. Maple Street
HOURS OF OPERATION
(Monday – Friday)
7:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. & 1:00p.m.-3:30p.m.
Transfer Station is closed Daily between 11:30a.m. – 1:00p.m.
The following items will be accepted for disposal or deposition at the Transfer Station:
- Residential Solid Waste (Garbage)
- White Goods (refrigerants must be removed)
- Yard Waste
Restricted items (items that will not be accepted) include but are not limited to:
- Paint (in liquid form)
- Propane Tanks
- Lead-acid Batteries
- Free-flowing liquids of any kind / Household Hazardous Wastes
- White goods containing refrigerants or any items containing mercury or Freon
- Dirt / Rock / Concrete / Steel
- Hazardous waste –insecticides, pesticides, contaminated soil, etc.
To dispose of waste at the Transfer Station please follow the driveway all the way to the last building.
On Pick-Up days Curbits need to be at the curb by 7:00 am
Garbage shall not be placed at the curb until after 6:00 p.m. on the day before scheduled collection and containers shall be removed as soon as practicable after collection, but no later than 8:00 p.m. on the day of collection. City Ordinance 14-70 3(b).
The following data is for the month of June 2023.
- Solid waste collected and transported for disposal 1,718.28 tons for the month of June 2023. Average day was 78 tons. Year-to-date solid waste collection and disposal is 19,300.62 tons; Year-to-date average day solid waste collection and disposal is 84 tons. Daily averages are based upon calendar days. The month of June 2023 landfill costs were $61,823.71.
- During June 2023 approximately 144 tons of yard waste was diverted from the solid waste stream and landfill disposal resulting in approximate savings of $5,181.12 transportation and tipping fees. Year-to-date total 1,376.00 tons.
- During June 2023 the trash truck (boom truck) collected 760 cubic yards of trash and large yard waste and 720 cubic yards of yard waste. Year-to-date trash collected 8,380 cubic yards and Year-to-date yard waste collected 6,880 cubic yards.
- During June 2023 approximately 13.16 tons of recycling was recycled through WMU’s curbside recycling program and the voluntary drop-off recycling center resulting in approximate savings of $291.10 (landfill disposal cost). WMU has collected 164.15 tons of recycling year-to-date. WMU paid LFUCG for disposal of mixed recyclable material during this reporting period in the amount of $251.33 for 8.03 tons. WMU received net payments in the amount of $0 for 0 tons of white goods during the month of June 2023 and $0 for 0 tons of Escrap.